Friday, July 13, 2012

Beginning a Lifestyle of Praise

Your praise is seldom on my lips and in my actions and that has to change. My lack of praise shows that my heart is not fully devoted to knowing You. My heart needs Your healing and purifying touch. So, create in me a clean heart for only then will praise be its outpouring. Only then will my actions be full of praise. Empty me of all the distractions and attractions that hinder me from getting to know You. Too many times I am caught up in myself and my needs that it seems as I don't know who You are. Sure I give thanks but that is not the same. Thanksgiving is an expression of gratitude for what You do. Praise is an expression of adoration for who You are. 


Let today begin a life of intentional praise for who You are. For nothing and no one is like You. Let today begin the explosion of praise that floods and fills my life. For all You do flows from who You are. Let today begin the aroma of praise that flows from my heart truly and freely. For You are worthy of it all. Apart from You I am nothing and have nothing. You are the breath of life. You are the power of life. You are the creator of my body. You are the source of every good gift. It is all from You. Knowing this should bring about an exclamation of praise (Hallelujah!). Acknowledging who You are on the basis of having a knowledge about these things (e.g., You are the breath of life) is different from knowing You. 


Therefore, it is critical for me to get to know You, if praise is to become a lifestyle. For it will be impossible to praise You for who You are with all that I am if I don't know You. In order for my praise to be from the heart, I must earnestly seek to know You and to know You more. The richness and depth of my praise will only come from a rich and deep knowledge of You. A lifestyle of praise is only possible from a life of intimacy. If I do desire to know You intimately, my life must be consumed by You. I must be consumed by who You are, more than by what You can do for me. 


So, let my praise always precede my thanksgiving. Let my thanksgiving flow out of my praise. Only then will my confidence in You be unshakable. Because I believe in what You can do, but I struggle with who You are. Why? Because my heart is not fully consumed by You. My heart is not wholly devoted to You. 


But, today I will get the praise party started. My heart may not be fully consumed by or wholly devoted to You, but I do know that You are good. That's more than enough to begin a lifestyle of praise. Your word commands me to praise You, and I will do so gladly. For You are worthy of it! You alone are worthy to be praised and worthy of all praise. Blessed be Your name, O LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment