Monday, January 10, 2011

An Open Eye

Sometimes we can be so engaged in ourselves that we miss opportunities. Or, we may be busy working or doing important things or talking with others. Those times are necessary, but there are also times when we need to have an open eye. This may be at church, work, shopping, school, where and whenever. The importance of an open eye will help us to see opportunities to bless others and be blessed. An open eye takes us out of ourselves. It removes the blinds and broadens our scope of vision and lives. We will come to important realizations about ourselves and others. We will realize how we can be of service to others. Also, we will realize how much we need others. An experience last evening at church brought a realization to me.

Last evening, I got to church late (not a practice) and decided to sit in the back row. As I walked into the church I had two options. One, to sit next to a girl in the second to last row or in the back row next to a guy. The decision was easy, mainly because I like sitting in the back row wherever I go. Sitting in the back row helps my observational skills. More importantly, it helps me to have a bit of obscurity, which I do find cool.

Anyway, back to the purpose of this post. As the service went on I began to notice that girl. Her mannerisms conveyed to me that she was a visitor. Her immediate departure just before church ended confirmed my thought and brought a realization. I used to do the same thing, and not only when I was a visitor.

On one hand, I am happy I sat next to the guy. We introduced ourselves and had a good conversation. On the other hand, I am sad the girl left early. She left before we spoke the blessing over each other. However, it hammered home to the importance of having an open eye. The experience brought to me an area of prayer as well. That is, prayer that we would have open eyes to opportunities around us. Prayer that we would trust God to help us serve in those opportunities. And, ask and trust God to provide others to serve when we are unable or did not get the chance to or missed the opportunities.

For every visitor or regular at church, coworker, classmate, teammate, etc, I pray for us to see and make use of those opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment