Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Be Still

I woke up yesterday morning with that verse of scripture on my mind. Psalm 46:10a, "Be still and know I am God." Most of my day was spent thinking about that verse. My theme song was "I am God" by Kirk Franklin and TobyMac. Whilst writing this I am listening to that song. The focus of that song is this same verse, Psalm 46:10a. It is an honest song that has a powerful truth and message.

We find it hard to be still, especially with our busy lives. We feel insecure and get fidgety when we are not doing anything. It's like we are getting a panic attack. After all, we measure busyness and productivity by how much we do. Sometimes it seems like a sin to just sit and relax for a few minutes. There are times we confuse relaxation and times of being refreshed with laziness. So imagine when we come across this verse. Holy smokes, that can't be for us today? Nah. That was for those people in those old days. You know, before technology and our modern times. They had more time to "kill", I don't. I got to keep going and doing. I won't stop till I drop. We may not say this in words, but our actions do.

A look at the passage will quickly point out the many things happening. Mountains moving into the sea. Mountains trembling. Nations raging. Water roaring and foaming. Kingdoms tottering. Substitute those for things happening in your life and around you. The psalmist talks about where his refuge and strength lies. He gives an invitation. He said, "Come, behold the works of the Lord, ... (v. 8-9)." Then comes the advise. Then comes words of peace. Then comes the voice of a loving Father. Words of comfort. Words from the one who is The Almighty. "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

Spoken with all authority. Spoken with total assurance. Spoken fully and unmistakably.  Though the mountains tremble. Though the mountains be moved into the sea. Though the waters roar and foam. Though the nations rage. Though life is getting crazy. Though life is hard at the moment. Though tomorrow seems hopeless. Though you are weak, tired, want to escape. There is only one thing to do, "Be still, and know that God is God." Sounds easy I know, but it is hard.

Imagine this for a moment. If you find yourself in such a situation, where the mountains are trembling. The waters roaring and foaming. Nations raging. Mountains moving into the sea. All of this happening around you. Life would seem hopeless. You would be expecting to die, right? You can't do anything to save yourself. Imagine how crazy it is to be told, "Be still and know that God is God." We will struggle to make sense of that message. We need to be rescued. We want to be as far away as possible. Probably as far as another continent. But there is nothing you can do to save yourself. Your only hope is to trust in those words. If trusting in those words was your only way to ensure you survive, would you not try it? Would you not ask for help to be still? I know I would. God wants us to. In such a time we will truly experience that mighty fortress, a bulwark never failing.

Be Still, And Know That I Am God.

No comments:

Post a Comment