Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Pride

Dear Saviour:

You made every part of me yet I claim me as my own
You are fully established yet I put myself on the throne
You clothe me in you yet I choose my righteousness
You give me your salvation yet I still try to impress
You chose to be humble yet I fill myself with pride
You lay yourself bare for me yet I keep it all inside
You obeyed the Father's will yet I fight to live for me
You depended on him yet I strive to live independently

My pride is evident, to you and me it is clear
In pretending that it's not, I have made a career
My pride is cleverly masked in a humble pretense
To be on the down-low and sit on the back fence
My pride is sometimes seen in my boastful ways
Highlighting what I've done for others to praise
My pride is focused on making it all about me
It grabs the spotlight so others can look at me

Strike down my pride because it's easy to default
to living for myself again and thus myself to exalt
Keep me alert, controlled, and from this slide
Baptize my mind daily and please kill my pride

I surrender and submit myself to you, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment