Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jesus on Trial: The Sanhedrin, and Pilate

The Sanhedrin:
The time dragged closer. The Sanhedrin could not wait. They had business to take care of. No more of this guy ruining our business. No more of this guy and his teachings. No more of this guy and his claims. No more of this guy and his miracles. No more of this guy and his exposing us for who we really are. We can no longer have it. This is our show and no one else is to run it but us. We are the chosen of God. We know the laws. We enforce the laws. We teach the laws. We are the educated. We are the leaders. We are the nobles. We have the status. Another reason Jesus had to do this. To save us from ourselves. To open our eyes to the truth of who we are. To expose us. To teach us humility. To teach us responsibility. To teach us submission. To show us that in spite of all of our ideologies, philosophies, status, claims, education, we are lost without him. To show that religion is insufficient and cannot save us. Most importantly, to show us that he is the only way back to God. And to provide that way back to God. The time of fulfillment was at hand. No time for wishful thinking. No time for procrastination.

Pilate:
The time dragged ever closer. Now he is taken before Pilate. Governor. Overseer. Supervisor. Political leader. Adjudicator. He thinks, initially, another one of those cases. Arrgh, Humbug. Should get this done in no time. But he was wrong. This was different. This guy was innocent. This guy was more than just innocent. This guy is something out of this world. Then his wife complicates things by telling him about her dream. She is right, but I don't see any easy way out of this. I can try to get him off but the Jews want him dead. They question whether I am a friend of the king Caesar. I have just become friends with Herod. Hmm, there is more political and social mileage here. Also, I don't want to have a riot on my hands. Better to have one die than for many to die. Better to give in than to stand up for what is right. Better to find an escape so that the blame for his death falls on them. This guy speaks of other worldly kingdom. This guy talks about truth. What is truth? I'll just wash my hands on the whole thing. I'll just turn a blind-eye. I will be glad when this is over. Or will I be? My life will return to normal. Or will it? The people want it, so I've got to give them what they want. Besides, non ad me pertinet (not my concern). Another reason he had to do this. To save us from what's popular. To help us find our strength in him and his words. To seek after justice no matter what. To stand up for his truth. Mihi curae est (it is my concern). Officii mei est (it is my duty). The time of fulfillment was at hand. No time for wishful thinking. No time for procrastination.

P.S: The above are written based on sermons 3 and 4 in the series currently being taught at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment